We have the health of our members in mind and recognize the importance of our protecting our health care system from the pressure caused by COVID-19. To keep our members safe and comply with venue requirements, we have adopted a COVID Policy which can be found on this page. This policy is actively reviewed each season.
Calgary Community String Orchestra is designed for beginner and intermediate adult string players who have taken a minimum of one year of lessons on their instrument. Everyone should be willing – even if not yet completely confident – to play pieces with up to 2 sharps or flats and should be playing in two to three positions on their instrument. Our two hour rehearsals begin with about one hour of instrument specific sectionals led by a coach. The second hour is a full orchestra rehearsal. This varies slightly from week to week. Toward the end of each session more time is spent as a full orchestra. The last week of our 10 week session we present a short informal concert. At CCSO we strive to create a supportive and positive environment. There are no auditions. Everyone is welcome.
Have you ever wanted to play in an orchestra? Want to try us on for size? We are excited to host open house play-ins at Central Memorial High School between seasons. Come and play with us and see what we are all about. Anyone is welcome.
Our next open house will be in January, 2023. If you want to come out and play with us please contact us and we will let you know when registration opens. We will then send you a link to the music before the open house.
Fall Season 2022
The Fall 2022 season is underway, and we will soon be accepting registrations for our Winter 2023 season. Our orchestra size may be limited to accommodate venue and AHS guidance, so we are maintaining a wait list when sections become full. Registrations for our Winter 2023 session will open in November.
Rehearsals: Tuesdays at 7:30 to 9:30, September 20 to November 8, 2022
Central Memorial High School – Room 173 (Enter by bay door #3 at back of school)
5111 21 Street SW
Our dress rehearsal is on November 15, 2022 and our wrap up concert performance is on November 22, 2022 at 8 pm. Both are held in our performance venue:
Temple B’nai Tikvah
900 47th Avenue SW
Our wrap up concert is open for all to attend! All we ask is that you bring a non perishable food item for donation to the food bank (there will be a table set up in the gathering area). Masking is preferred at this venue. The Orchestra has signed a “release of liability” waiver required by the venue on behalf of all that will be in attendance.
We are delighted to be able to play music together again. The safety of our orchestra members is a top priority for the CCSO. We are also required to comply with the COVID-19 related policies of our venues.
Our current policy is:
- Musicians will be seated to maintain social distancing of approximately 2 meters between us.
- We strongly encourage and prefer musicians to remain masked throughout the entire rehearsal.
- Participants are asked to not come to rehearsal if they aren’t feeling well or if they suspect they may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- Participants are asked to notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org if they become ill and suspect they may have exposed members of the orchestra.
Also please take note of the following changes from last session:
- We will have outdoor snack break for our first few rehearsals (weather permitting) and evaluate further as the session progresses.
- Music stands for rehearsals at Central Memorial High School will be provided by the venue. You will need to bring you own music stand for the dress rehearsal and concert at Temple B’nai Tikvah.
- Seats will be assigned, and we may change seats between rehearsals and occasionally during a rehearsal.
- We will remain in communication with our venues about the steps they take for COVID related safety and any requirements they have of us as tenants.