With the health of our members in mind and in recognition of the increasing pressure on our health care system, we have made the decision to delay our start date until Feb 1. We anticipate our final concert will now be on Tuesday, April 5. To keep our members safe and comply with venue requirements, we have adopted a COVID Policy which can be found on this page.
Calgary Community String Orchestra is designed for beginner and intermediate adult string players who have taken a minimum of one year of lessons on their instrument. Everyone should be willing – even if not yet completely confident – to play pieces with up to 2 sharps or flats and should be playing in two to three positions on their instrument. Our two hour rehearsals begin with about one hour of instrument specific sectionals led by a coach. The second hour is a full orchestra rehearsal. This varies slightly from week to week. Toward the end of each session more time is spent as a full orchestra. The last week of our 10 week session we present a short informal concert. At CCSO we strive to create a supportive and positive environment. There are no auditions. Everyone is welcome.
Have you ever wanted to play in an orchestra? Want to try us on for size? We are excited to host open house play-ins at St. Mary and St Paul Coptic Orthodox Church between seasons. Come and play with us and see what we are all about. Anyone is welcome.
We have not set a date for our next play-in just yet. If you are interested in being contacted when our schedule is finalized, contact us on our ‘Contact’ form and let us know!
We will then send you a link to the music before the open house.
Winter Season 2022
General Registration for the Winter 2022 season is open. Please head over to Registration to grab your seat! Our orchestra size is limited to accommodate venue and AHS guidance, so we are maintaining a wait list when sections become full.
Rehearsals: Tuesdays at 7:30 to 9:30, February 1 to March 22, 2022
- 2039 26A St SW
- Calgary, Alberta
Our dress rehearsal is on March 29, 2022 and our wrap up concert performance is on April 5, 2022. Both are held in our performance venue:
- 900 47th Avenue SW
- Calgary, Alberta
Participation in the concert will require you to sign this waiver.
Our wrap up concert is open for all to attend! The number of guests we can invite is limited by facility capacity. If you are interested in attending the concert please Contact Us so we can send you the waiver that is required to be signed in order to attend.
We are delighted to be able to play music together again. The safety of our orchestra members is a top priority for the CCSO. We are also required to comply with the COVID-19 related policies of our venues, so the following are new measures adopted by the orchestra:
- All participants must be double vaccinated.
- Masks will be required to be worn throughout the entire rehearsal.
- Participants are asked not to come to rehearsal if they aren’t feeling well or if they suspect they may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
Also please take note of the following changes to further accommodate safety of our members:
- We won’t have our traditional mid-rehearsal snack table this year; please bring your own snacks and water.
- We will have more spaces between seats, and request that you bring your own music stand. While this may reduce some of our flexibility during rehearsals, we ask that you please remain in the seat in which you start each rehearsal.
- Seats will be assigned.
- Our orchestra size will be limited by the available space and social distancing measures.
- We will remain in communication with our venue about the steps they take for COVID related safety and any requirements they have of us as tenants.
- Use of the venue for our dress rehearsal and final performance will require that you physically sign a waiver and vaccination statement.