We have the health of our members in mind and recognize the importance of our protecting our health care system from the pressure caused by COVID-19. To keep our members safe and comply with venue requirements, we have adopted a COVID Policy which can be found on this page. This policy is actively reviewed each season.
Calgary Community String Orchestra is designed for beginner and intermediate adult string players who have taken a minimum of one year of lessons on their instrument. Everyone should be willing – even if not yet completely confident – to play pieces with up to 2 sharps or flats and should be playing in two to three positions on their instrument. Our two hour rehearsals begin with about one hour of instrument specific sectionals led by a coach. The second hour is a full orchestra rehearsal. This varies slightly from week to week. Toward the end of each session more time is spent as a full orchestra. The last week of our 10 week session we present a short informal concert. At CCSO we strive to create a supportive and positive environment. There are no auditions. Everyone is welcome.
Have you ever wanted to play in an orchestra? Want to try us on for size? We are excited to host open house play-ins at St. Mary and St Paul Coptic Orthodox Church between seasons. Come and play with us and see what we are all about. Anyone is welcome.
Our next open house will be on September 13, 2022. If you want to come out and play with us please contact us on our ‘Contact’ form and let us know! We will then send you a link to the music before the open house.
Fall Season 2022
Planning for the Fall 2022 season is underway. Our orchestra size may be limited to accommodate venue and AHS guidance, so we are maintaining a wait list when sections become full. Registrations will open in the summer of 2022.
Rehearsals: Tuesdays at 7:30 to 9:30, September 20 to November 8, 2022
- 2039 26A St SW
- Calgary, Alberta
Our dress rehearsal is on November 15, 2022 and our wrap up concert performance is on November 22, 2022. Both are held in our performance venue:
- 900 47th Avenue SW
- Calgary, Alberta
Our wrap up concert is open for all to attend! Signing a vaccination declaration and waiver is no longer required to attend the facility, however proof of vaccination and masking is a requirement as of April 2022.
We are delighted to be able to play music together again. The safety of our orchestra members is a top priority for the CCSO. We are also required to comply with the COVID-19 related policies of our venues, so the following are new measures adopted by the orchestra:
- All participants must be double vaccinated.
- Masks will be required to be worn throughout the entire rehearsal.
- Participants are asked not to come to rehearsal if they aren’t feeling well or if they suspect they may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
Also please take note of the following changes to further accommodate safety of our members:
- We won’t have our traditional mid-rehearsal snack table this year; please bring your own snacks and water.
- We will have more spaces between seats, and request that you bring your own music stand. While this may reduce some of our flexibility during rehearsals, we ask that you please remain in the seat in which you start each rehearsal.
- Seats will be assigned.
- Our orchestra size will be limited by the available space and social distancing measures.
- We will remain in communication with our venue about the steps they take for COVID related safety and any requirements they have of us as tenants.
- Use of the venue for our dress rehearsal and final performance will require that you physically sign a waiver and vaccination statement.